Work Permit in Poland | Temporary “Residence and Work Permit” in Poland

Work Permit in Poland

This article is more directed to all those non-EU citizens who want to relocate to Poland for work. The legalization processes have always been a problem to many people who are looking to relocate and this can be due lack of proper and correct information from inappropriate people.

In Poland the two legalizations which have arisen confusion among non-EU citizens on “which do I need?” and “what are the differences” are Work permit in Poland and Temporary residence and work permit in Poland. Hopefully, this article will clarify on the subject and make it easier for all those willing to relocate to Poland for work.


Work Permit in Poland – Do you need a Work permit?

Not everyone is obliged to obtain a work permit to work in Poland, some expatriates do not need the work permit. The list of work permit-waived expats is worth a visit to see if you need one to work in Poland.

It is usually easier for those coming from Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia, and Ukraine. To learn more in this category follow this link.

There are two things to legalize when considering moving to Poland or any other country in the European Union and should be legalized separately, these are; your stay and your work. The visa or residence permit legalizes your stay while the work permit in Poland that you will obtain legalizes your work if no other conditions applying.

It should be kept clear that with tourism visa, temporary protection or humanitarian reasons, one still cannot work in Poland.

Important: work permit in Poland is not applied by you or in other words, the employee but your future employer, therefore, the permit will be company-specific and post-specific. Except for the blue card holders who have it different, the regular work permit in Poland holders does not have their permits as open work permit which means changing the company or the post will force your employer to apply for you a new work permit in Poland.


Work permit in Poland – What you will know through the application

According to the Polish law on the work permit application, your employer shall inform you about the procedures followed and the keep you updated throughout the procedure. The following procedures shall be disclosed to you by your employer:

  1. Your employer has to inform you of the progress of application or prolongation of the work permit in Poland as well as the information on conditions affecting the process.
  2. The job details documented in the work permit application should be the same as documented in the contract and offered to you.
  3. Anything you sign such as the contract, work permit application documents, etc. must be translated into the language you can understand.
  4. You have to make sure your employer provides you with the copies of the important documents including the work permit in Poland.


The difference between Work Permit in Poland and “Temporary residence and work permit” in Poland

As said earlier that the residence permit or visa legalizes your stay, so you are supposed to legalize your stay by applying either for the visa or the residence permit. The employer is supposed to legalize your work and therefore before you can work in Poland, the employer is supposed to apply for your work permit in Poland. However, the temporary residence and work permit legalizes both, your stay and work and this is applied by yourself not the employer.

Even though you will not rely on your employer to apply for you temporary residence and work permit, you will still need to collaborate with your future company through the process as you will still need some documents from them to assist you with the application but also the contract signing. This type of permit, however, can only be applied once one is already in Poland and therefore not for the newcomers.


What is the validity of a Temporary residence and work permit in Poland?

This permit does not prolong for more than three years at the maximum case but can also not be longer than your work contract. In other words, for any contract more than three years, then the permit will be three years but any contract less than three years then the permit will be valid for the contract duration.

In case of change of employer – except for the blue card holders – one will need to apply for a temporary permit as per the new contract.

Good news to those who are interested in moving to Poland from anywhere, Eurasia is in high demand of workers in many different fields and announces the job openings regularly on our jobs page which you should pay regular visit to search for your fitting job.

We follow all the formalities as per the Polish law and make sure we give the working permit to the employees we offer job before they come to Poland. For any questions call us at +48 795 458 406.

Related Blogs